Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Selfish

It was the first day of school. My teacher gave me this writing assignment: If you could have any superpower what would it be? Well, I can tell you what it would NOT be. I would not want to invisible. Who knows what people might say about me, not knowing that I am standing there. It's just like in the book Wonder by R.J. Palacio when Auggie is wearing a Halloween costume and nobody knows it is him. A kid who he thought was his friend says some pretty mean things about him, not even knowing he was listening. I would certainly not want to hear people talking about me like I'm not there.

I would also NOT want to be a shape-shifter. I would have to turn into all sorts of unpleasant things to save the day. For example, I might have to turn into a giant, gooey, green jello mold to save someone jumping out of a burning building. They would need somewhere safe to land, after all. And, what if there was a giant robot lizard taking over the city? Do you know what eats lizards? Snakes. Snakes eat lizards. I would have to turn myself into a giant snake, big enough to unhinge my jaw and swallow that giant robot lizard whole. No thank you. I.Hate.Snakes.

I would NOT want night vision. How would I be able to sleep? I would guess that night vision makes everything look brighter, even the dark. I would NOT want super-strength because my friends would always be asking me to open jars and help them move and stuff. I would NOT want be able to control the weather because I would always make it a warm, sunny, spring day. We wouldn't get enough rain and that would be bad. I would not want to be all stretchy like Elastagirl from The Incredibles movie. That just looks uncomfortable. I wouldn't want to turn all green and strong like The Hulk when I got mad. I'd ruin all my clothes. There are a lot of powers I would NOT want.

What I would want to have (if I could have any super power) would be the ability to fly. Ever since I was a little girl I have been fascinated with flying. Not on an airplane though. I hate flying on airplanes. I want to feel the wind rushing over my face, whipping though my hair, the feeling of weightlessness, as I soar over the Earth. I could fly low and let the tree tops skim my toes, or fly high and poke holes in the clouds. I guess I would be using this super power for my own fun and benefit, and not really to help people. Maybe... I am selfish.

5 comments:

  1. I really like the reasoning behind not wanting particular powers. But if you want to fly aren't you worried about swallowing bugs?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved your reasoning for each of your explanations as to why you didn't want that superpower. I think I would like to control the weather! As long as no one knew I did it, I don't want people getting mad at me like they do the weatherman! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No kidding! I would make it snow once, and then it would have to be spring again.

      Delete
  3. I like how you made lots of connections to different movies, books, and animals. This would be a great piece of writing to share with students.

    ReplyDelete